With all of this status-posting of thanks, I've tried to think of things outside the basics that I'm thankful for, and this is what I've come up with:
- I'm thankful for sickness, so I have a better understanding of healing and health.
- I'm thankful for pain because it allows me to appreciate comfort.
- I'm thankful for stress because it lets me recognize peace.
- I'm thankful for those who have left my life so that I more dearly love those who have stuck around.
- I'm thankful for the absence of God so that I may more deeply live in His presence.
- I'm thankful for death so that I may greatly cherish my life.
Of course if we could have a perfect society, a perfect world, I would be the first to welcome it, but the fact is that we can't. Poverty, sickness, pain, anger, addiction, evil, they're inescapable. While it's a weird sort of thanksgiving, it's a thanksgiving nonetheless. Even though I've had my struggles, I'm thankful for the growth and maturity they've given me.
I guess in short, you could summarize it as God, thank you for the struggle and beauty that is life.