Thursday, August 21, 2014

OKAY SUPER RANT FOR A SECOND

If I hear one more argument about the ice water challenge I am going to break something.

Do you know how much water is wasted by people not turning the faucet off just while they're brushing their teeth or taking baths on the regular? Look it up. Do you know how much GOOD FOOD is thrown away every day in America that could be feeding people that are starving? Why aren't you bitching at people about that?

The ice water challenge is for CHARITY. IT'S TO RAISE AWARENESS FOR PEOPLE IN NEED.

I'M SORRY THAT PEOPLE ARE HAVING FUN WHILE HELPING OTHER PEOPLE. NOT EVERYONE CAN DROP EVERYTHING AND GO DIG A WELL IN AFRICA OR ADOPT EVERY STRAY ANIMAL OR SAVE EVERY ABORTED BABY OR SOLVE WORLD PEACE.

There are millions of people in need of medical attention, financial support, clean water, or even just someone to talk to when they're sad. I'm SO SICK of this mentality that if someone somewhere is suffering from lack of something, if you happen to have that specific thing, you should feel guilty about it or give it up and also suffer.

Just because someone somewhere is on a diet doesn't mean that I shouldn't enjoy a piece of cake. Just because someone somewhere is homeless doesn't mean I can't buy myself a nice house if I have the means to.

It is literally impossible to live a life without taking anything for granted. The fact that your heart is beating at this second and that oxygen is making it from outside your mouth to the tips of your toes in the span of time that it takes to inhale and exhale IS A FREAKING MIRACLE. Your heart is literally a muscle that could stop at any moment, yet usually beats like it's no big deal for about 70 years. Just think about that phenomenon for a second.

Do I think we as Americans are entitled to be wealthy and frivolously spend money and not give a crap about the third world? No, I don't. I love the hell out of every person I've ever met b/c I think everyone is beautiful and deserves the best and I want them to never struggle or be unhappy. But unfortunately, that's wildly unrealistic because you become an adult and you find out that everyone is in some way a selfish, piece of crap. That 100% includes me. I am ridiculously selfish and I hate myself for it a lot of the time. It's a hard lifestyle to break, I get that, too.

The fact that people are picking fights over the way some people choose to help other people is absolutely ridiculous. If that doesn't show you at least a portion of the fallen, ugly state of our world, I don't know what will.

For the record, people don't usually get real excited about just giving money away, particularly when they spend a lot of time earning it at a job they're miserable in. (You can look up the statistic on how many people surveyed in America are super unhappy in their jobs. It's a high number.) The ice water challenge is MARKETING. If an organization is struggling to support their cause and they are genuinely trying to help people/animals, and they come up with a way to get people involved then I say GOOD FOR THEM.

At the end of the day, I think everyone should do what they want with their life because it's theirs and we only get one. But because we only get one, nobody has time for naysayers and belligerently critical people, or technically time to be one, either.

So, if you feel the need to have a negative opinion about literally every person's decision whether it's to support a specific cause, have a different sexual orientation, or eat a piece of cake for breakfast, with all due respect, please shut the fuck up.



No comments:

Post a Comment