Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Cancer

Who would've thought six little letters could form one of the most terrifying words.

In actuality, cancer is just a cell that continues to reproduce but has no function.  It's not a mutant virus that turns someone into a zombie or makes a limb horrifically fall off while you're out for a stroll in the park. It's just a dead cell. Doesn't seem so scary when you put it that way.

But it is scary. The word has the power to stop time and to play your entire life before your eyes in a moment. It can sever families and friends. End careers and often dreams. Just one little six letter word. Cancer.

And how would you feel if you were told you had it?

A tumor the size of a grapefruit engulfed my left, little five-year-old kidney. I had chemo, radiation, and surgery to quarantine and kill the death in my body. It wasn't an easy battle; there were many sleepless nights of nausea and sharp pains, so many needle pricks to find my tiny veins, a bald head, and dropping to a dangerous weight.

But sixteen years later, I can still tell you I made it and that I'm thankful for it. Life can really suck sometimes, but it's still a beautiful thing.

In many dark times, I've felt that God's not there or He's simply not listening. But I'm here to tell you that He is. God cares as much about your term paper, your extra bills, your marriage, your unemployment, your loneliness, your doubts, your grief as much as He cared about saving my life. There are a lot of bad things happening in the world and He cares about those, too.

Most Christians have a favorite verse in the Bible, one that they make their "life verse" because it resonates with them the most. I have a lot of favorite books of the Bible, but I always come back to Matthew 6:34: Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

God is still a God of Miracles. He is not a bully, but a loving, compassionate Father that wants to give us the desires of our heart. We may think that He's put us in this predicament to punish us, but many times we're the ones who have lead ourselves there. A father always acts with the best interest of his children at heart. And we have the One that knows how to perfectly parent us.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you not to worry, because that is impossible. But I can encourage you to trust a little more, to enjoy today despite all it's troubles. You're not in control of tomorrow, but Someone who loves you more than anything is, and that gives you all the freedom in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment