Thursday, September 18, 2014

Most Influential Book ..... Challenge

Well, Autumn Flanigan challenged me to list my top 10 most influential books. I don't why it's a challenge/nomination. Anyone could ask at anytime really and I'd tell you. But anyway, I always like to give reviews/explanations, so I thought hey, why not make a blog of it.

And here we are.

Top Ten Most Influential Books:

1. The Sword & the Stone by T.H. White - because it's the most perfect book in the universe. duh. It's my favorite Disney movie and also my favorite story. If you haven't read or seen either, I have no idea what you're doing with your life.

2. Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events - If you've only seen the movie, you need to read the books. There's no comparison. Lemony Snicket had a huge hand in influencing my writing style and humor. He has a very unique, dry writing style and very, very complicated plot. So complicated, I'm not sure he was able to bring all together himself. He wrote about tragedy and sadness and being okay despite nothing ever going right and I'm realizing as I'm typing this just how much putting that into a story means to me. Seriously, thinking about re-reading them makes me want to cry for both joy and sadness. Also, I still want to know what exactly happened to Beatrice.


3. Anything ever written by Laurie Halse Anderson.  Speak. Prom. Chains. Wintergirls. She is one of the other authors I aspire to imitate in morals and message. She writes about the ugly things in life that plague a lot of people but shows there is hope and strength that comes from each traumatic event.

4. The Hiding Place by Corrie Tin Boom - I remember absolutely not wanting to read this book for summer reading. I was like, ew, gross, Christian literature that isn't fiction. Turns out it was incredibly moving and eye-opening for my middle school self. Thankful that I read it b/c it exposed me to good memoir, as well as the importance of personal experiences.

5. Angry Conversations with God by Susan Isaacs - This book means a lot to me b/c it's probably the most recent thing I've read and in the midst of a bunch of hokey Christian literature, it's extremely authentic and also hilarious. Home girl writes exactly like I want to - snarky, but vulnerable and transparent. Go read it right now.

6. To Kill A Mockingbird - Maybe the only book I ever enjoyed reading in school. We all know it's slow at first, but if definitely packs a punch for the last 5 chapters or so. Love the characters. Love what the story stands for. Timeless piece of Southern lit.

7. Desperation by Stephen King - Because it's the most terrifying book I've ever read. But it's a battle between a "lesser god" and the God of the Bible. Guess who wins. It was excruciatingly gory, very dark and twisted, suspenseful, and actually had a really solid moral to it. It was the first time I realized a book could be more terrifying than a movie. Also, homeboy is the master of description.

8. Graceling by Kristin Cashore - Because it's the most interesting fantasy/adventure fiction I've ever read. I want this to be a movie so badly. The characters and story line are incredible. Fist pump for the strongest female lead ever and the most perfect fantasy male lead. Oi. One of my favorite books of all time.

9. The Horse and His Boy - Because it's MF C.S. Lewis. I don't know why so many people hated this book in the Narnia series, but it was my absolute favorite. He's the man and one of my favorite authors of all time. What some wisdom and what a way to bring the gospel to children.

10. Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline B. Cooney - I love Greek Mythology. Another rad story about a girl standing up for her faith even though it's the uncommon thing. Lots of action, very suspenseful, and marvelous.

                                - HONORABLE MENTIONS -

Tantalize - It's a story about Vampires and Werewolves that actually isn't stupid. It revolves around another female lead trying to save her restaurant. Atypical romance as well. Good stuff.

Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging by Louise Renninson - Easily the funniest books you will ever read in your life. British humor is the best.

If you can't tell, I'm a young adult fiction and memoir kinda girl and I own most of these books if you're interested in borrowing. It's been a fun challenge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment